Roses are red, violets are blue. The quinoa plant is stunning, and its nutrition is too!
On this day of love, let us honor one of nature’s greatest gifts.
Quinoa, pronounced keen-wa, is the base of our nutrient filled bowls. It is a super grain from South America that has been harvested for thousands of years and has recently gained popularity in North America as a super food.
One of the reasons why Quinoa is so wonderful is its nutrient profile. Here are a few facts:
- Relative to other grains, Quinoa is amongst the highest in protein content and contains all nine of the essential amino acids our bodies need to thrive– not so easy to find in one food alone.
- It is packed with about twice the amount of fiber as most other grains which aids in digestion and reduces the risk of heart disease, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure.
- Quinoa contains high amounts of minerals such as iron and magnesium which work to keep our red blood cells healthy and aid in relaxation.
- It is naturally gluten free which makes it a great grain to eat for people with Celiac disease or gluten intolerant.
- It has a low Glycemic Index which means is it absorbed slowly by your body and doesn’t spike blood sugar levels like other grains such as white rice or pasta.
Not only is quinoa loaded with nutrients our bodies love, but the plant itself is a blossoming beauty. With colors ranging from greens, to yellows, to oranges, reds, and pinks, it’s a veritable rainbow of delicious nutrition.
Let’s take a moment to soak in the beauty:
It is interesting to know where your food comes from and what it looks like before it goes into your belly. Love your body by providing it with good quality nutrition and enjoy a delicious quinoa bowl from the cart.
Now it’s time to express your love for quinoa. Share a comment with us below about why you love the magical seed.
To your health!
Jodi Calis, GFF Nutrition Coach
Need some help cleaning up your diet? Learn more about working with Jodi as a health coach.